Monday 8 October 2012

Soap sculpture




My soap sculpture connects to my theme because I took ideas, shapes
and patterns from my mechanical images from my blog and artist's designs.

While I was carving my soap I had to work slowly to avoid the blade sliding
into the soap too far, making an irreversable hole. When I carved out the
ring in the middle I had to move the blade around constantly but slowly to
avoid jagged edges.

  I based the carvings in my soap sculpture on this mechanical arm
by Waimun Choy.


This sculpture was made to explore what shapes can be carved into a bar of soap with a lino cutting tool. I simply used a bar of soap. I used this material because it is easy to cut into but also to discover what shapes can and can't be carved. Time and weather affects the material because the water will slowly drain from the soap bar and the soap is easy to make marks in. The sculpture has no function, only to be displayed. It is shaped as a cuboid with patterns carved into it such as arcs and lines that relate to shapes from my theme, Mechanical. 

1 comment:

  1. Great photographs that really show the form of your carving, well done.

    Please annotate with how you made decisions when making, focussing on how you approached the carving. See me if you are unsure.

    ReplyDelete